September 19, 2014
As I sit here on my living room couch looking out at one of the things most precious to me, my heart breaks. Why? What in this world could I be looking at? Let me start at the beginning.
Twenty years or so ago my precious, loving, adoring , absolutely the best in the world at several things and being my husband is tops on the list husband, our very young son, and I were shopping at Lowe’s hardware store. Or maybe it was Holcomb’s garden center? Any way, I saw something I just had to have: A real live honest to goodness bay tree. The guys at the store said it would not live in this area (zone) but I wanted it. And guess what. I got it! This might not seem like much, but to me it was the BEST! I love to cook (as long as it is quick and easy!). I also grow my own herbs. At least some of them. I must have bay leaves for soups, stews, and a roast just ain’t right without four or five good bay leaves in it. It can go without the rest, as long as you have the bay. And fresh ones? OH MY GOSH!
So, to me this was a dream come true.
We brought that baby home and planted it right between my kitchen and living room windows. As for it not living in this area, they certainly shouldn’t. Why did mine? Because it was mine. THAT is favor. It did not hurt that I would bless it and speak over it, too. And, she thrived.
Until last year.
Early last year, I discovered that something had been digging at the roots to the bay tree. It also developed some kind of mildewy spots and the leaves began to turn brown. For several reasons, we did not get it sprayed.
Here is where G-d’s protection comes in.
You know how
- in Genesis 6:21 He told Noah to store up for what was to come.
- In Genesis 41:1-32 Pharaoh had a dream about 7 skinny cows eating 7 fat cows? He was telling them to prepare for the drought that was to come. This was Joseph’s time.
- In Exodus 12:35 He had Moses tell the Israelites to prepare for their freedom by gathering gold, silver, and clothes. They would need these in the new land!
- Proverbs 6:6-11 tells us to watch and learn from the ants, how they store up for winter, so they will be prepared and have enough.
- Proverbs 21:20 tells us that “There is treasure to be desired and oil in the dwelling of the wise; but a foolish man spendeth it up.” The wise man has stored up to be sure he has enough.
This one sums it all up:
Proverbs 27:12 , “A prudent (very aware) man foreseeth the evil, and hideth himself; but the simple pass on, and are punished.”
One is to see what is going on and prepare for what is coming. Jesus Himself said in Matthew 16:2-3
(2) He answered and said unto them, When it is evening, ye say, It will be fair weather: for the sky is red.
(3) And in the morning, It will be foul weather to day: for the sky is red and lowring. O ye hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky; but can ye not discern the signs of the times?
We are to be aware of what is going on and know what is coming, and be ready for it.
So, what does this have to do with my tree?
It came to me several times last year to break a branch off of the tree and root it so I would have another one. I would be busy, or physically not up to it at the time, so I put it off. And I put it off. And I put it off. Besides, where would I put another one, anyway?
Now, it is too late.
If Noah had waited until it rained to put by what they were to use, it would have been too late.
If Joseph had waited until the drought hit to start storing food, it would have been too late.
If the Israelites had waited until they were leaving Egypt to gather the gold, silver, and clothes, it would have been too late.
For me and my bay tree, it is too late.
G-d gives us seasons to do things and once that season is gone, it is too late. Some say He gives us windows of opportunity, and once that window closes, it is closed!
Now, what happens if we blow it and the season for preparation passes without us having prepared?
Good question! If you did not prepare and get ready , was it because you did not believe Him? Were you slothful and just did not get around to it? Could you just not afford it?
G-d will be merciful with whomever He chooses. Let that be said and clearly understood. It is not up to me to say what He will or will not do. HOWEVER let me say this: If you disobey and do not prepare, He may not feel obligated to provide for you when the crisis hits. Maybe He will, maybe He won’t. Again, it is not up to me to decide.
I don’t want time to run out on me again.
After all, it’s already cost me my bay tree.
What could it possibly be next time? And that’s a scary thought.